When it affects the joints of the spine, they build up similar to a hook, creating for any head movement discomfort. This is called uncovertebral osteoarthritis. The disease is not considered serious, but it could give for a human body dangerous complications.
What is uncovertebral arthrosis of the cervical spine
Pathology bhoothnath articular processes, or intervertebral discs called uncovertebral osteoarthritis. The disease leads to a structural change of the transverse channel, so in the process of its development is observed with a pinched nerve and vascular bundles in the cervical spine. The disease makes itself felt pain with each turn or tilt of the head. The patient is not able to freely move my shoulders. Noted the numbness. Often there is uncovertebral arthrosis C5-C6 cervical vertebra or C4-C6.
Causes of arthritis of the spine
The main cause of osteoarthritis is the low physical activity of the cervical, the lack of dynamic loads. Contribute to the development of the disease the following factors:
- heavy physical work;
- pathology of the spine;
- violated the metabolism;
- diseases of the skeletal system;
- inadequate nutrition of the intervertebral cartilage;
- injuries of the cervical;
- flat feet;
- loss of elasticity of the cervical ligaments;
- diseases of the thyroid gland.
The first symptom of uncovertebral osteoarthritis of the cervical spine is pain in the region of one or more cervical vertebrae. Constant discomfort prevents a person lead a normal lifestyle. Muscles of the cervical strain is also often reflexive that prevents full rotation of the head. If at this stage to consult a doctor, if appropriate treatment can quickly eliminate the disorders of the cervical spine.
Degenerative changes of the cervical spine
The second alarming symptom, manifested in the beginning of the disease – the crunch of the vertebrae when bending the head. The main instigators of pain during physical exertion are the intervertebral discs, which protrude and affect the ligaments. In the first stage pain occur intermittent, but gradually become more regular. The first thing to suffer cartilage disk that becomes thinner and loses its elasticity. On the cervical vertebrae occur growths.
Common symptoms of the disease
Without proper treatment uncovertebral arthrosis of the cervical spine progresses very quickly, which can cause the formation of synovial cysts. Pain in this pathology may radiate to the lower extremities, and in severe is causing symptoms of paralysis. Osteoarthritis of the spine without timely treatment leads to the following symptoms:
- increase of dislocations in the cervical spine;
- persistent headaches;
- back pain and/or chest;
- change in blood pressure;
- brachial neuritis and other neurological conditions.
How to diagnose osteoarthritis unkovertebralnyh joints
It is known that uncovertebral osteoarthritis is one of the varieties of osteoarthrosis. Only after several examinations, the doctor can make an accurate diagnosis. First, it explains the nature of the pain syndrome, then using palpation revealed muscle spasms, painful areas. For further diagnosis, the doctor will conduct imaging techniques: x-ray and MRI. The resulting images allow you to identify the affected ligament, as far as functional blood vessels are there on the rear surfaces of the vertebrae osteophytes.
Treatment of the cervical spine
Therapy uncovertebral osteoarthritis of the cervical spine begins with the formation of the patient’s correct posture. The patient has to carry heavy loads, to avoid a sharp neck movement, and during sleep should use an orthopedic pillow. The condition of the cervical spine has a beneficial effect of regular swimming pool, physical therapy (physiotherapy). If necessary, assigned to medical therapy. Basically, all disease of the cervical spine are treated on an outpatient basis.
Wearing collar Trench
Arthrosis of the cervical vertebrae the first stage is eliminated sometimes while wearing an orthopedic collar Trench. It is a wide collar made from a soft fabric that encircles the neck and the back fastens with Velcro. Collar Trench not cure encountres cervical, and eases the symptoms. It is used to relieve fatigue and stress. It performs the function of crutches, distributing the weight of the head to the base of the neck and collarbone. Thanks to the orthopedic collar head fixed in the correct position, and the tendons, ligaments and muscles of the neck is unloaded.
Drug treatment of osteoarthritis
Drugs that are able to eliminate the cause of the disease does not exist. To slow down the progression of the disease and to remove the local pain, the doctor usually assigns a set of medications:
- Painkillers. Relieve severe pain with Aspirin, Ibuprofen.
- Medication ulucamii circulation. The purpose of Pentoxifylline, Actovegin helps to restore normal blood flow in the cervical spine.
- Chondroprotectors. Slow down the process of destruction of cartilage and help restore cartilage tissue. Popular products: Chondroitin, Glucosamine.
To drug treatment was effective, prescribed the use of various physical treatments. If there are no contraindications, they have anti-inflammatory action is removed symptoms, so often used after primary therapy for prevention. The most effective methods that help in treating problems of the cervical spine:
- effects of magnetic field eliminates swelling of tissues, relieves inflammation;
- ultrasound phonophoresis is used to into the lesion to deliver the novocaine or lidocaine to freeze the nerve fibers in the period of exacerbation;
- modulated current in a short time removes pain:
- manual therapy and therapeutic massage helps to restore joint mobility and relieve muscle spasm.
Traditional medicine for osteoarthritis
The use of folk recipes during the complex treatment of osteoarthritis uncovertebral provides a quick positive effect. The gifts of nature improve blood circulation, provide anti-bacterial effect on the affected areas of the cervical. If the pain persists for a long time, use the following recipes:
- Mix in equal amounts of pork fat with hop cones. Grind until a homogeneous mass. Apply the ointment on the affected area before bed to reduce pain.
- Three grams of celery root chop, pour a liter of boiling water, insist 10-12 hours. Take the infusion daily to reduce pain one tablespoon on an empty stomach.
- Alcohol (300 ml) pour the dried flowers of bearberry (50 g). Leave for 2-3 hours, then use as a compress for the night in severe pain.
Video: exercises for osteoarthritis