Urban, rural… How many times in our lives we have heard and said these concepts, not really thinking about their deep sense! For us these words are antonyms, the meaning of which we learned from childhood. However, do we know exactly and thoroughly what the difference is between the inhabitants of these two «settlements»? It would seem that the answer is Yes. But as shown by surveys of the topic in the Internet and personal experience of the authors, this is not always the case. As a rule, the understanding of the difference between urban life on the farm is based on several stereotypes that are not exhaustive and definitive. We hope that our article will help the reader to understand this issue. Be forewarned that it will be about life in well developed and prosperous cities and villages.
The content of the article
- We all come from the village…
- Skyscrapers, skyscrapers, and I small…
- The difference between urban and rural lifestyles
- COMPARISON TABLE
We all come from the village…
Seemingly controversial statement. And, perhaps, citizens are in the tenth generation would be outraged to the depths. However, if you look at the far far away, that is for sure. When primitive man came out of the cave and built the first huts, then it was housing, not urban, and rural village, where the first place was agriculture, Pets and livestock, hunting. Moreover, this way of life lasted for thousands of years. So how would anyone proud of his city pedigree, its roots grew out of the village.
But back from the distant past in today’s present. What are the main characteristics of the modern village? It’s hard to miss.
to content ↑Material
The village, the village is always a small community of people living on a relatively small territory. For example, in many former Soviet republics still a norm exists – if the number of people living in one settlement (village, village) is more than 10 thousand people, he acquires the status of TOWN (urban-type settlement), that is almost a city. Again – nowhere in the world you will not find a village the size of Paris or Moscow. Although in fairness it should be noted that these cities (and the vast majority of other) also when started from small villages. We list some basic aspects inherent in mandatory rural settlements.
- The lack of large-scale production. Of course, there are many factories, mills and heavy industrial complexes are located far away from cities, but all residential and non-residential buildings around them have the status of PGT, or specialized campus.
- The obligatory presence of a subsistence economy. In many of today’s modern villages are built small and multi-storey house with all city conveniences. However, the main housing of any rural settlement is a private house with courtyard and land for planting.
- The financial component. Now, many villagers do not work on the ground, as it was in the past. They are small, but modern enterprises of different specializations, which in the set created in the current villages. These little factories, workshops, individual production departments are no different from similar businesses in the city. However, it should be recognized that the average salary in the countryside is lower than in the city, and in some places quite dramatically. And this statistic not only in CIS, but also around the world.
- In the village you will not find academics or designers of space ships. With rare exceptions, do not work here are also great artists or architects. And it is caused not by lack of talent (it’s all right), and the lack of facilities for work and creativity these individuals. In the village you will find a Large theater or Art Institute of Traumatology of the brain. There is no National libraries and the Tretyakov gallery. Is it good or bad is an open question. But that is impractical, it goes without saying.
- And again. 20-25 years ago you could write about uncomfortable staying in the village (in the territories of the former USSR). Now, this topic is no longer relevant. With today’s technologies, you can ensure yourself the conditions are not worse than in the city – even in the taiga. It all depends on the availability of Finance. In the West this problem was solved many decades ago.
to content ↑Spiritual
Stop is also a bit on the spiritual component of the modern village. And it takes a considerable part in village lifestyle.
- The rural population is more friendly than the city. This is due to the close ties between the members of this society. Related, neighbor relationship is much stronger than in the metropolis.
- Rural people are more or less equal in social status, no major material and cultural gaps between members of rural society. Rural intellectuals (doctors, teachers, etc.) is much closer to simple villagers than their urban counterparts to so-called hard workers.
- Life, spiritual communication between villagers flows are restricted, consistently and confidentially. The rhythm of such a life contributes to a more sincere relationship between people, their great capacity for reciprocity and compassion. No wonder we all know the phrase: «my neighbor lit up the barn, and we put out his whole village.» However, no one heard, for example, this expression: «Lit up a nearby nine-and we put it out the whole neighborhood». It is impossible to imagine that during a fire in the village, its inhabitants have gathered in a pile away from the flame, photographed it on mobile phones or took selfies against the background of the fire, without thinking even of some meager assistance to firefighters arrived. Unfortunately, the city is in order.
- The villager love for his homeland is much stronger than the citizen. Although some may say that this is a controversial statement, as many rural youth leaving the city, and is struggling to gain a foothold there, there are no less examples of small town people moving to the capital city or large regional centre, and forgets where he is, and not decades, recalls the city of his childhood. A villager in the most part always remembers where he came from, and at the first opportunity goes to native birch at least for a few days.
to content ↑Skyscrapers, skyscrapers, and I small…
Monster, handsome, fantastic, ruthless, indifferent — These, and not just epithets can be heard in conjunction with the word city. And I must admit that they are all legitimate. The city is the son of the village, son, wayward, headstrong, does not like its parent. And unlike urban life from rural evident to anyone who came here from distant villages. Huge, insatiable, absorbing all that the earth gives, with all the known evils – it can sometimes seem like a punishment, sent people for their sins. But whether the city would ever mankind has not risen to today’s level of civilization. All the global reach of our world were created in the cities, and it is an indisputable fact. City necessary for the development of the human community, at least on today’s historic step. Consider in more detail the features that characterize a typical urban landscape.
- Huge, high-rise residential mounds, where at one entrance are often home to more people than some strong villages. Factories, large industrial and commercial enterprises – organic feature of any more or less developed urban settlement.
- Advanced medicine, science, large training centers (institutes, universities, academies etc.) – again, only urban privilege.
- One of the important advantages of the town before the village is well-developed infrastructure. As you know, this concept combines the availability of the transport system, schools, medical facilities, service facilities, services, budgetary organizations, commercial establishments, etc, in other words, everything that makes human life beyond the threshold of his house easier and more comfortable, can be attributed to infrastructure. Unfortunately, even in modern and prosperous villages, many elements of such a system leave much to be desired.
- A big problem for any village, and even a small district of the town – the choice of profession and employment on it. In a large, rich city, the issue is much less acute. With persistence, ability and a strong desire citizen almost always able to find a job specialty.
- The city was crowded with all sorts of entertainment. Theatres, exhibitions, numerous sporting events, concerts – all this is quite normal, natural things for the citizen and for the country person rather refers to the category of the exotic, rare occasion…
- Political events, cultural and customary revolution, radical reforms always begin in cities and then spread across the country.
- The city is very strong contrasts in interpersonal communication socialnyh groups. For example, in some critical moments of crisis, the workers of one or several plants can be combined and organized to speak with the urgent requirements, to provide each other with moral and material support. Here we see a certain similarity with the rural community. However, these same workers can live in a high-rise and mnogopodezdnom house and really do not even know who lives with them on the same landing. In the village it is impossible in principle. There is not only thoroughly know everything about your neighbors, but often have the same information about the entire street, and even the entire village.
- Urban alienation has become a byword in the town. Cases where, for example, in the apartment next door dies a lonely man and lies there for weeks and even months are not uncommon. The neighbors are beginning to react to the odor, and then not always. We brought this grim example only to show how the people living in the city, far from each other in terms of communication, despite the much more dense accommodation in comparison with the villagers.
- The rhythm of life in the city is incomparable with a village pace. It is much more hectic and filled to the limit stress. It is not surprising that according to statistics, despite the higher level of medical care, citizens on average live shorter lives than their rural counterparts.
Note. In very rare cases, some of these factors are present in the village, but this is the exception to the rule only proves the rule.
to content ↑Difference between rural and urban lifestyle
Above we have described the most, in our opinion, the characteristics of urban and rural lifestyle, although it should be recognized that this is not an exhaustive analysis. Now let’s try to bring it all into one table and make some conclusions.
to content ↑COMPARATIVE TABLE
The presence of large industrial facilities. Tons of working, performing some narrow function leads to the depersonalization of their relationship
Small workshops and workshop is the main industry in rural areas. Thus, the relationship between workers they are almost «sister»
Opportunities in the educational plan give the young generation of citizens relative freedom in the choice of future profession and, therefore, allow us to strive for higher goals
As a rule, on the village of choice for young people in terms of further development. Or to go to town, to the specialty needed for agriculture, thus limiting the creative potential of his personality, and to return to the «homeland». Either choose something that is soul, and try to stay in the city for the realization of their dreams that’s not quite so simple as, for example, to the indigenous citizen
Well-developed infrastructure. On the one hand, increases the pace of life and efficiency, on the other – increases stress risks
Often there are situations when time is completely unproductive and nothing can be done. However, everything flows slowly and the number of nerves is much less than in the «urban option» (see example below)
Urban medicine, as a rule, considerably exceeds the rural, which, oddly, leads the townspeople to a more careful attitude to their own health. Going to doctors is one of the favorite pastimes of a particular group of urban dwellers, especially in old age
Not very good medicine is not a particularly affects the health of the villagers and causes no sharp criticism. Good environment, relatively clean products doing their job in the health of rural citizens any better than a certified doctor. The villagers in the mass, healthier citizens, and live longer
Plenty of available entertainment and services. This allows to partially relieve the stress accumulated over the day, week, month. Although some «games» on the contrary, it increases. However, the lots of variety of activities are somewhat jaded and often not conducive to health
The vast majority of «urban» types of holiday are unavailable to rural residents because of their basic lack. However, there is a positive moment. The arrival of a famous musician or musical group causes a storm of positive emotions and remembered until the end of life
Work. Much more opportunities in career and professional terms. A wide range of specialties. But there is a minus. This accessibility is somewhat frivolous attitude to work of many residents (especially the young), light-headedness, which, of course, does not improve the performance and quality of work
The choice of professions in the small village. And vacancies are not so much. Therefore, as a rule, a rustic treat my work responsibly and seriously. No matter where they work – in the city or on the «small homeland». It is well known that worker came from the village, most of the Executive and reliable
Huge density of population and at the same time – its fragmentation and isolation. The principle «my house – my fortress» has not been canceled, and in modern cities he embodied fully and even got further development – «what happens behind the walls of my fortress, none of my concern.»
In the village there are preserved remnants of the old Patriarchy of the past centuries. All each other know, keenly interested in even the smallest of events in the domestic life of the rural community and discuss them. In many villages still do not close the day the front door, as the city is absolutely incredible
High pace of life with lots of stress. In the city a person always arises a lot of problems regardless of his wishes. Accordingly, many citizens produce a certain style of life, communication – nervous and aggressive. It is a kind of protective reaction to constant external stimuli
In the countryside the pace of life is much calmer and netoroplivo. The majority of the villagers are good-natured and open. They are easy to contact and is rarely seen unjustified aggression. Once in urban conditions, they often have quite hard at first due to the inability to react harshly to some, from their point of view, the little things
The attentive reader might ask: «What does all of the above to the topic – what is the difference between urban and rural lifestyles?» The most direct. For example, the presence of highly developed infrastructure allows the citizen to load your day more full than the same villager.
For example, to get to some narrow specialist doctor or to take specific analysis, rural residents will likely have to get into the district, and even in the nearest big city. For this he may take the whole day. The same citizen all this can be done in a couple hours. That is, it will still have plenty of time for other things. And accordingly they plan their day. One (the villager) is a 1-2 business – day came to an end. The other (citizen) it could be a dozen cases, and in the evening another visit to a hockey game.
However, it should be noted that his compressed, highly productive day, the citizen pays a nervous tension and a higher possibility of getting in a stressful situation. At the same time, a villager in any case will suffer less because it such situations much less. This is a Prime example of the influence of place of residence on lifestyle living.
So, we can say that every characteristic of a town or village directly affects the residents of these communities. Of course, there are drawbacks and advantages and the urban and rural way of life, but a place to live – everyone chooses.