Numb fingers, pain in the wrists often bother people working at the computer, performing monotonous manual work. Learning to recognize the symptoms learn about the causes of its occurrence, and modern methods of treatment, can prevent or stop the progression of the disease.
What is carpal tunnel syndrome
People do not attach importance to when the discomfort is felt in the joints, numbness of fingers at night, your wrist start to hurt, but we can talk about serious illness. Tunnel syndrome is a neurological disease that belongs to the group of diseases of modernity. He still has another name – compression-ischemic neuropathy. This diagnosis is about 45% of the people whose work is associated with a long tension of certain muscle groups, so you should read more about the problem to avoid it or to stop the progression of the disease.
Tunnel syndrome – causes
The disease often manifests at an older age in women. The cause of the tunnel syndrome is explained by the peculiarities of the female anatomy, age-related changes. In menopause and in pregnancy the hormonal changes, tissue swelling causing compression in channels of peripheral nerves. There are other causes of diseases in humans of different sex and age.
The factors causing the development of tunneling neuropathy:
- a congenital anomaly (narrow channel);
- overexertion from repetitive motion, microtrauma;
- the presence of chronic renal failure, diabetes mellitus, hypothyroidism, rheumatoid arthritis etc.
Carpal tunnel syndrome
Pain in the fingers, numbness of the hands may indicate the development of such diseases as carpal tunnel syndrome (carpal tunnel syndrome). This is due to the compression of the carpal ligament compressed median nerve during repetitive flexion and extension brush, long immobility of wrist joint in flexion (after sleep, for professional work).
Carpal syndrome develops more often in women. They have a thinner wrist, and with age, hormonal changes, swelling of tissues. Carpal tunnel syndrome threatens the people whose profession is associated with the constant strain of certain muscles:
- from performing repetitive movements;
- musicians (pianists, cellists, violinists, drummers, etc.), artists;
- people who work long time with computer (programmers, gamers, gamers).
Tunnel syndrome ulnar nerve
As a result of excessive nerve entrapment occurs ulnar tunnel syndrome. What are the nuances? Injuries of the elbow can cause this pathology, as neuropathy of the ulnar nerve. Occurs inflammation of the affected tendon arc becomes thicker, narrowing the channels, the pressure on the nerve causes pain and numbness. Cubital syndrome develops at constant pressure, injuries of the ulnar nerve that is found in athletes, people performing the standing flexion-extension of the elbow joint during execution of work.
Tunnel syndrome – symptoms
How to determine what started the symptoms tunnel syndrome? The feeling of muscle stiffness in the limbs, numbness of the fingers, the desire to adopt a more comfortable position may indicate development of neuropathy. Most often these symptoms appear in the hands, but can also develop both upper and lower extremities. First, problems appear in the morning after a long stillness or strong compression.
Numbness, pain in hands, wrists, fingers often indicates that developing carpal tunnel syndrome. Discomfort in the groin area says about neuropathy of the femoral nerve, and numbness of the lower leg or foot – the defeat of the tibial and peroneal nerves. The discomfort passes after a few hours, but if it starts complication of the disease, it is necessary to treat until the deformation of the bones and joints.
Tunnel syndrome – treatment
You should start as early as possible treatment tunnel syndrome – early prevention will help to avoid development of the disease. The first symptoms I urge you to pay attention to your health – if possible to change profession or to work in a more safe position, to do gymnastics. If the disease started progressing, there shall be an anti-inflammatory medication, hypothyroid – replacement therapy. Efficient vasoactive and diuretic medications, recommended physical therapy, water treatments, in complex cases – surgery.
Tunnel syndrome – treatment at home
Experts claim that the tunnel syndrome treatment at home is possible. First of all, when you work need to change position or take a break every 15 minutes to rest muscles. It is useful to do special exercises:
- To squeeze a rubber ball or practice with the application of wrist, hand expander.
- To do various rotational motion exercises to overcome the resistance.
- From time to time to do self-massage of the extremities, moving from the bottom up, first at the back, and then on the inner side of the limb.
- To take a contrast shower or bath, at night you can put alcohol compress on the problem areas.
The tunnel syndrome treatment folk remedies
It is appropriate to use a folk remedy tunnel syndrome – they help to reduce pain and numbness. Effective use of sea buckthorn bath. Instruction:
- Berries, mash well and add water to a thick slurry.
- The mixture is heated to a temperature of 37 degrees.
- Slide your hands (wrists or elbows) in the tub to hold half an hour.
- Wiping hands with a paper napkin, wrap a warm natural cloth.
- The procedure is repeated daily or every other day throughout the month. After a two-week break, the course of treatment if necessary can be repeated.
Relieve unpleasant symptoms and compresses, which are used before bed, during exacerbation of the disease. To prepare this media mix:
- salt – 1 tbsp;
- ammonia (10%) – 50 ml;
- camphor alcohol, 10 ml;
- water – 1000 ml.
Treatment of Supplement taking cranberry broth. Method of cooking:
- 2-3 teaspoons of lingonberry leaves pour 1 tbsp. of water.
- The mixture boil 15 minutes and let stand.
- Warm broth strain and drink one tablespoon 5-6 times a day.
The doctor suggests the complex treatment along with home remedies, therapeutic exercises, massages will help stop the development of compression-ischemic neuropathy, and to get rid of the painful symptoms. People who spend a lot of time at the computer, performing monotonous manual work, you should think about prevention of the disease, because preventing illness is much easier than to cure.