Many users upgrading to the new OS or installed the Windows 10 faced with the problem that the computer or the laptop cannot be turned off using «shutdown». The problem may have different symptoms — not disabled the monitor on the PC, the laptop switches off all indicators except the power supply and the cooler continues to work or the laptop itself turns on immediately after shutdown, and other similar.
This how — possible solutions to the problem, if your laptop with Windows 10 is not turned off, or a desktop computer behaves strangely when you shut down. For different hardware, the problem may be caused by different reasons, but if you don’t know which option to fix the problem is right for you, you can try them all — anything that can cause malfunctions in the manual no.
Does not turn off the laptop during shutdown
The greatest number of problems associated with the off, and indeed with the power management appears on laptops, it does not matter whether they have received 10 by Windows update or it was a clean install (although in the latter case, problems are less common).
So, if your laptop with Windows 10 when you shut down, continues to «work», i.e., the cooler rustles, though, the device is disabled, try the following steps (the first two options only for notebooks with Intel).
- Remove Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST) if such component is in your «control Panel» — «Programs and features». After that restart the laptop. Noticed on Dell and Asus.
- Go to the support section on the website of the laptop manufacturer and download the driver Intel Management Engine Interface (Intel ME) out of there, even if it is not for Windows 10. In the device Manager (open through right clicking the start menu) look under «System devices» device with the same name. Click right click — Delete, select «Delete the driver software for this device». After uninstall, run the installation pre-loaded the driver and after restart the laptop.
- Check that all drivers for system devices are installed and properly working in device Manager. If not, download them from the manufacturer’s official website (from there, rather than from third-party sources).
- Try to disable quick launch in Windows 10.
- If the notebook is connected to something via USB, check to see whether it shuts down normally without this device.
Another version of the problem — the laptop turns off immediately and turns on itself again (seen on the Lenovo, and other brands). When you encounter such problem, go to control Panel (view field at the top right, put «Icons») — power options — configuring power scheme (current scheme) — Change advanced power settings.
In the «Dream» open subsection «Allow Wake timers» and set the value to «Disable». Another parameter that you should pay attention to the properties of the network card in device Manager of Windows 10, namely the provision that permitted a network card to Wake the computer from standby mode tab in power management.
Uncheck this option, apply the settings and try again to turn off the laptop.
Does not turn off the PC with Windows 10 (PC)
If the computer does not turn off with symptoms similar to those that were described in the section on laptops (i.e. continues to make noise with the screen off, turns on again immediately after shutdown), try the methods above, here about one kind of problem that was seen only on PC.
On some computers, after installing Windows 10 if you turn off the monitor ceased to turn off, i.e. go into a low power mode, the screen continues to glow, though to be black.
To solve this problem until we can offer two way (perhaps in the future, will find others):
- To reinstall the video card driver completely erasing the previous one. How: install NVIDIA drivers on Windows 10 (also suitable for AMD and Intel video cards).
- Try to shutdown with disabled the USB devices (in any case, try to disable everything you can disable). In particular, the problem was seen in the presence of connected gamepads, and printers.
At the moment this is all I know of solutions that usually help to solve the problem. Most of the situations in which Windows 10 will not turn off is the lack or incompatibility of separate drivers for the chipset (so it’s always worth it to check). The cases do not shut off the monitor when you connected the gamepad looks like some bug in OS, but the exact reasons are not know.
Note: I forgot another option — if for some reason you have disabled automatic updates of Windows 10, and installed it in its original form, you may want her to still update: many problem users disappear after the next update.
I hope someone from readers describes how can help, and if not, they will be able to share other solutions that have worked in their case.