Many users upgrading to Windows 10 or after a clean installation of the OS has faced a variety of problems of the sound system — someone just lost the sound on your laptop or computer, others stopped working the sound through the headphone output on the front panel of the PC, another common situation — the sound itself is quieter with time.
In this manual the steps described possible ways to correct the most common problems when audio playback is not working correctly or just missing the sound in Windows 10 after updating or installing, and also just in the process of working for no apparent reason.
Before proceeding to the steps described next, try running the automatic fix sound problems Windows 10, clicking with the right button of the mouse on the speaker icon and selecting «Detect audio problems». Not the fact that will work, but if you haven’t tried it — worth a try.
Note: if the sound is gone after a simple installation of updates in Windows 10, then try to go into device Manager (via right clicking the start menu), choose the audio devices to your sound card, click the right mouse button, and then click on the Driver tab click «Roll back driver». In the future, you canfor your sound card so that is not a problem.
The sound disappeared in Windows 10 after updating or installing the system
The most common variant of the problem, on your computer or laptop just the sound disappears. In this case, generally (first, consider this option), the speaker icon on the taskbar in the order in device Manager of Windows 10 for your sound card says «this Device is working properly» and the driver does not need updating.
However, at the same time, usually (but not always) in this case the sound card in device Manager called «Device with support High Definition Audio» (and it is a sure sign of lack of installed drivers to it). This usually happens for the sound chip Conexant SmartAudio HD, Realtek, VIA HD Audio, Asus and Sony laptops.
Install driver for sound in Windows 10
What to do in this situation to fix the problem? Almost always working method consists of the following simple steps:
- Google Modelvalidator support, or Modelmaterial support. I do not recommend if you encounter problems, referred to in this manual, start search drivers, for example, from the Realtek site, first of all look at the manufacturer’s website is not the chip, but the entire device.
- In the support section to find audio drivers to download. If they are for Windows 7 or 8 and not for Windows 10 — this is normal. The main thing that was not different bitness (x64 or x86 should match the bitness of the system installed at the moment, see )
- To install these drivers.
It may seem simple, but many people write about what is already done, but nothing happens and does not change. Typically, this is due to the fact that despite the fact that the driver installer will walk you through the steps, in fact the driver for device not installed (easy to check by looking at the properties of the driver in device Manager). Moreover, the installers of some manufacturers does not report an error.
There are following ways to solve this problem:
- Start the installer in compatibility mode with previous version of Windows. Helps most often. For example, to install Conexant SmartAudio HD Audio and Via laptops usually triggers this option (compatibility mode with Windows 7). Cm. .
- First remove the sound card (under «Sound, video and game controllers»), and all devices under «audio inputs and outputs» through the device Manager (right click on the device — delete), if possible (if there is such a mark), together with the drivers. And right after the removal launch the installer (including using compatibility mode). If the driver still will not install, in device Manager select «Action» — «scan for hardware changes». Often works on the Realtek, but not always.
- If you then installed the old driver, then click the right mouse button on the audio card and choose «Update driver» — «search for drivers on this computer» and see if the list of already installed drivers new (except the Device with support High Definition Audio) compatible driver for your sound card. But if you know its name, you can look through and among associated.
Even if you are unable to find official drivers, anyway try removing the sound card in device Manager, then updating the hardware configuration (item 2 above).
The sound or the microphone stopped working on laptop Asus (may be appropriate for other)
Separately, I note the way solutions for notebook Asus audio Via Audio chip, that they often have problems with playback, and a microphone connection in Windows 10. Solution:
- Go to device Manager (via right clicking the start menu), open the «Audio inputs and audio outputs»
- Via right click on each item in the section, remove it if there is a proposal to delete the driver, do that too.
- Go to «Sound, video and game controllers», remove them the same way (except for HDMI-enabled devices).
- Download the Via Audio driver from Asus official site for your model for Windows 8.1 or 7.
- Run the driver installer in compatibility mode with Windows 8.1 or 7, preferably as Administrator.
I will note, is why I point to an older version of the driver: it is observed that workable in most cases is VIA 184.108.40.206, and not the newer driver.
Playback devices and their advanced options
Some novice users forget to check the settings of playback devices in Windows sound 10, and to do it better. As follows:
The author recommends reading:
- — what to do and why this is happening?
- (for watching videos and games)
- Just right click on the speaker icon in the notification area at the bottom right, select the context menu item «playback Devices».
- Make sure you have the correct playback device by default. If not, right click on the right mouse button and select «make default».
- If your speakers or headphones, as required, are the default device, click the right mouse button and select «Properties» and then click on the tab «advanced features».
- Check the box «Disable all effects».
After performing the above settings, check to see if the sound earned.
The sound was quiet, wheezing or decreases the volume automatically
If despite the fact that the sound is played, it has some problems: it rattles, too low (and the volume itself may change), try the following solutions to the problem.
- Go to playback devices, right click on the speaker icon.
- Just right click on the device, with the sound with which the problem occurs, select «Properties».
- On the tab «advanced features» check «Disable all effects». Apply the settings. You return to the list of playback devices.
- Open the «Communications» tab and put the volume down or mute for connection, set «Action not required».
Apply settings and see if the problem is solved. If not, there is another option: try using device Manager select your sound card — properties — update driver and to install not «native» driver for your sound card (to show the list of installed drivers), and one compatible that Windows 10 has to offer itself. In this situation, sometimes it happens that the «not native» drivers are not impacted.
If nothing has not helped, I suggest you try to use any of the popular driver-pack, and pre-test and functional whether the devices themselves — headphones, speakers, microphone: sometimes, the problem with the sound not working in Windows 10 and in themselves.