To learn how to switch meters to centimeters and do the reverse operation, causing the size in centimeters to meters, is very simple. The main thing to remember as to the relationship between these values.
How many one meter in centimeters
And metre, and centimeter are the units the accepted International system of units SI. The meters measure length and distance. The meter can be called a conventional unit of measurement in the eighteenth century, the length was defined as 1⁄40 000 000 of the length of the Paris Meridian. The modern official definition of the meter States that it is the distance light travels in a vacuum in a very small fraction of a second is 1/299 792 458 part.
But the centimeter is a decimal fraction of the value «attached» to the meter. Decimal fraction units are those which are obtained by dividing «home» units to specific parts (lobes). For example, the prefix «decimeter» in «decimeter» or «deciliter» means that we are talking about tenth of meters or liters respectively. And «Santi» shows that are one hundredth of the initial value.
Knowing that means the prefix «centi-«, it is easy to guess that a centimeter is one-hundredth of a meter. So, in one meter how many centimeters? Exactly 100.
Translation of meters to centimeters – examples
If the conditions of the problem need to bring all the linear size (width, length, height, growth, and so on) to a single value to convert from meters to centimeters, you multiply the meter value by 100. One hundred is a round number, so the multiplication process will be simple and quick.
- Example 1. The fence height is 2 metres, calculate the height of the fence in inches. To multiply by 100 the integer, simply add to it two crosses. So the result is that the height of the fence equals 2х100 = 200 centimeters.
- Example 2. Growth Vasey – 1.35 meters. How much will it be in centimeters? If we multiply by 100 decimals, it is necessary to move the point separating the integer part from the decimal, two digits to the right – this will be the result of multiplying by a hundred. Therefore, if the growth Vasey converted from meters to centimeters, we will receive 135 cm.
- Example 3. During the day the snail had crawled a distance of 5 meters and 8 centimeters. How many centimeters crawled the snail? Multiply the number of meters by 100 in the result, we get 500, 500+8 = 508. Thus the route of the cochlea had a length of 508 centimeters.
How to convert centimeters to meters
For to convert centimeters to meters, will not multiply, and divide the original value by 100. It’s also not hard to do in such cases in integer numbers the last two digits separated by a decimal point, a fractional point is transferred to the left.
- Example 1. The length of the bar is 120 centimeters. This is how many meters? Detachable last two digits decimal point, we get 1.20. If the decimal ends in zeros can just be discarded. In total, 120 centimetres is equal to 1.2 meters.
- Example 2. The ceiling height in the apartment – 308.5 inches, we convert this value to meters. Move the point two digits to the right, resulting 3.085 meters.
- Example 3. The length of the tail of a cat of Muska – 19 inches. Translate from centimeters to meters. For this discharge the last two digits, before the decimal point and write a zero – 0.19 m is obtained, the zero point 19 hundredths of a second. Obviously, we had to get a result less than unity, because in one meter is 100 centimeters, and the tail is a lot shorter Muska.
Thus, to translate the meters to centimeters is not much more difficult than to translate the centimeters to meters. Important not to forget that the meter is 100 centimeters and the conversion of linear values to the units of measurement will never be an issue.