In this instruction about what to do if a clean install of Windows 10 or 8 (8.1) from the stick or disk drive on your computer or laptop, the software reports that installation on this disk is impossible, because the selected disk is the MBR table partitions. In EFI systems Windows can only be installed on GPT disk. In theory, this could happen when installing Windows 7 with EFI-boot, but I do not come across.
The error text tells us (if something is unclear in the explanation, never mind, let us examine further) that you are booted from the installation USB flash drive, or disk in EFI mode (rather than Legacy), but on the current hard disk on which you want to install a system that is not relevant to this type of loading the partition table is MBR, not GPT (this can be for the reason that previously this computer was running Windows 7 or XP and when replacing a hard drive). Hence the error in the installer «can’t install Windows on a partition on the disk». Cm. also:.
There are two ways to fix the problem and install Windows 10, Windows 8 or 7 on PC or laptop:
- To convert the disk from MBR to GPT, then install the system.
- Change the download type from EFI to Legacy in BIOS (UEFI) or by selecting it in Boot Menu, resulting in an error stating that the disk is MBR table partitions will not appear.
In this tutorial will be discussed both options but in the current situation I would recommend to use the first one (while arguing about what is better — GPT or MBR, or rather about the futility of GPT can be heard, however, now it is becoming a standard partition structure for the hard drives and SSD).
Bugfix «In EFI systems Windows can only be installed on GPT disk» by converting HDD or SSD to GPT
The first method involves the use of EFI booting (and it has advantages and it is better to leave it) and easy to convert disk to GPT (or rather convert its partition structure) and installing Windows 10 or Windows 8. This is the method I recommend, and implement it in two ways.
- In the first case, all data from the hard disk or SSD will be removed (entire disc, even if it is divided into several sections). But this method is fast and does not require any additional funds — this can be done directly in Windows setup.
- The second method stores the data on disk and partitions on it, but will require the use of third party free software and write a bootable disk or USB drive with this program.
Converted the disk to GPT with the data loss
If this method is right for you, just press Shift + F10 in Windows setup 10 or 8, this will open command prompt. For laptops you may need to press Shift + Fn + F10.
At a command prompt in order to enter commands, press Enter after each one (also below there is a screenshot with demonstration of performance of all teams):
- list disk (after you run this command in the list of drives, note the number of the system disk on which you want to install Windows, then — N).
- select disk N
- convert gpt
- create partition primary
After executing these commands, close the command prompt and continue with the installation, it must pass successfully (in some cases, if the drive does not appear in the list, you should restart the computer from a bootable flash drive or disk with Windows again and repeat the installation process).
How to convert a disk from MBR to GPT without data loss
The second method is in case the hard disk is the data that you in any case do not want to lose when installing the system. In this case you can use third party programs, of which for this particular situation I recommend Minitool Partition Wizard Bootable which bootable ISO with free program for working with disks and partitions, which, including, can convert the disk to GPT without data loss.
Download the ISO image Minitool Partition Wizard Bootable available free from the official pagethen you need to either burn to CD or make a bootable USB flash drive (for ISO image when using EFI boot simply rewrite the content of the image on a flash drive formatted in FAT32, make it bootable. Function Secure Boot must be disabled in the BIOS).
After booting from the drive, select start a program and after it starts do the following steps:
- Select the disk you want to convert (not a partition on it).
- On the left menu, select «Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk».
- Click Apply and answer Yes to the warning and allow the operation to complete conversion (depending on the volume and occupied space on your disk can take a long time).
If in the second step you will receive an error message that the disk is a system and its conversion is not possible, then you can do the following to bypass it:
- Highlight the partition with the Windows boot loader, typically in the 300 to 500 MB and at the beginning of the disk.
- In the top menu bar click «Delete» and then apply the action using the Apply button (you can also just create in its place a new section under the loader, but in FAT32 file system).
- Again select steps 1 through 3 to convert the drive to GPT, which previously caused an error.
That’s all. You can now close the program, boot from the installation drive of Windows and install, the error «installation on the disk is impossible, because the selected disk has MBR table partitions. In EFI systems Windows can only be installed on GPT disk» will not appear and the data will be safeguarded.
The author recommends reading:
- — what to do and why this is happening?
- (for watching videos and games)
Fix error when you install without a disc conversion
The second way to get rid of bugs In EFI systems Windows can only be installed on GPT disk in Windows setup 10 or 8 is not to convert the disk to GPT, and to turn the system is not in EFI.
How to do it:
- If you start the computer from a bootable flash drive, then to do this, and select when loading the item with your USB storage device is not marked as UEFI, then the download will happen in Legacy mode.
- Can exactly the same settings in the BIOS (UEFI) to put the first stick not marked as EFI or UEFI in the first place.
- In the UEFI settings to disable EFI mode booting, but to install the Legacy or CSM (Compatibility Support Mode), in particular, if you are booting from the CD.
If in this case the computer fails to boot, make sure you have the BIOS disabled Secure Boot. It can also look in the settings as your choice of OS — Windows or «Windows», you need a second option. Read more:.
In my opinion, took into account all the possible options to repair this error, but if something continues not to work, ask — I will try to help with the installation.