All the organs are important, but there are some without which a person simply cannot exist. The liver is one of the main «elements» of the body, it performs many useful functions. Given the strong load, the body often suffers from inflammatory processes of varying severity. Symptoms of liver disease depend on the specific ailment and its stage. Today often diagnose cirrhosis, hepatitis, toxic shock, the formation of stones. The signs of such diseases differ. If the liver is sick, what symptoms occur in humans?
What are the symptoms of liver diseases
There are General symptoms of liver disease:
- painful, aching sensation under the ribs, worse from physical activity, consumption of fried, spicy, fatty foods;
- nausea, vomiting;
- significant deterioration of appetite;
- strong heartburn, frequent burping;
- lethargic state, weakness, reduced efficiency.
The first signs of liver disease
The signs of liver disease in women and men have some distinctive features. In General, the disease in both sexes occurs in the same way. The symptoms are divided into internal and external manifestations of liver inflammation. Internal signs:
- sharp pain on the right side under the ribs;
- failures in digestion;
- increase in abdominal cavity;
- hair loss;
- dark urine;
- the emergence of the feeling of heaviness in the right hypochondrium, which is preceded by the absorption of fried or spicy foods with high calorie content.
External symptoms of liver disease, which can be seen in the photo, appear on the skin:
- jaundice: mucous membranes and skin an unhealthy yellowish hue, which is visible to the naked eye;
- rash, pruritus;
- psoriasis, eczema: spots with a rough surface that occur mostly on the head and upper body.
Liver diseases and their symptoms
Liver ailment is a large list of diseases, different causes and signs. In this article, we will discuss the important organ lesions, the most frequently encountered ailments. Let’s talk about the symptoms of liver disease in hepatitis, cirrhosis, toxic illnesses, formation of stones. If there are signs that indicate liver problems should immediately consult a doctor.
Cirrhosis of the liver in men and women
Liver cirrhosis refers to extensive lesions that healthy tissue will atrophy, gradually turning into a scar. Because of this replacement, the nodes are formed of different sizes, which considerably alter the structure of the filter body. Men suffer more often than women. What are the symptoms of liver cirrhosis – this question interests many. These include:
- first signs of cirrhosis of the liver, yellowing of the skin, mucous membranes, and rapid weight loss on the background of reduction of appetite;
- severe weakness, fatigue, drowsiness;
- the appearance of the skin «stars» of the vessels, which become pale when pressed;
- skin itching, worse at night;
- dark yellow color of urine;
- frequent bruising on the skin;
- it hurts the liver in cirrhosis: felt sharp, severe pain under the ribs on the right side of the body;
- symptoms of liver disease in women supplemented with dysfunction of the menstrual cycle, in men – impotence.
The complex of diseases associated with exposure of different factors is toxic liver damage. Substances that cause poisoning, can be drugs, household chemicals, foods (e.g., mushrooms), radiation and so on. Due to the impact of the above factors, there are changes that become the catalyst for the violation of the correct operation of the liver and can lead to failure. Liver problems of this nature are characterized by signs, grouped into syndromes. Types of liver intoxication syndromes:
- Cytolysis crashing permeability gepatocitah walls, liver cells die from prolonged exposure to toxic substances. Symptoms:
- increases the activity of enzymes AST, ALT, LDH;
- changing the amount of vitamin b and iron in the blood.
- For cholestatic syndrome characterized by the interruption of receipt of right amount of bile into the intestinal system. Symptoms:
- the liver is increased;
- appears on the skin irritation, itching;
- is darkened urine, lightened stool;
- yellow skin, eye mucous, saliva;
- exacerbated overall health.
- Signs of dyspeptic syndrome:
- pain in the abdomen, under the ribs, near the pancreas, bloating;
- nausea, vomiting;
- loss of appetite;
- the increase in the liver.
- The specificity of the hepatocellular insufficiency is as follows:
- the emergence of «stars» on the skin;
- redness of the face, palms or soles;
- extension of the salivary glands.
- in men there is a growth of adipose tissue, testicular atrophy, disorders of erectile function and the breast enlargement;
- in terms of white color on the nails;
- the curvature of the tendons on the hands.
- Hepatargy – heavy stage liver failure, which affects the Central nervous system and brain. Hepatargy can manifest as:
- a variety of mental disorders;
- special, bad breath;
The appearance of the stones is a consequence of gallstone disease. Signs of this type of ailments do not manifest themselves for a long period, up to 2-3 years. Symptoms of liver disease that is caused by formation of stones include the following symptoms:
- biliary colic often occurs when moving blocks by way of the capillaries of the gallbladder or inflammation of the ducts;
- a feeling of dryness in the mouth;
- violation of stool (constipation);
- darkening of the urine, the stool become light, become sour smell;
- the language appears yellowish coating;
- restlessness, pain in the heart, you may experience intermittent seizures.
Hepatitis different types of ailments that are primarily shock the human liver, leading to inflammation in the body. There are three groups of hepatitis:
- virus diseases: A, B, C, D, E, F;
- toxic hepatitis;
All common signs of liver damage any kind of hepatitis are classified into early and late manifestations of the disease. Optional, the first symptoms of hepatitis:
- the temperature increase;
- pain under the ribs on the right;
- the appearance of rash on the skin;
- loss of appetite;
- the pain and aching joints and fatigue.
Later signs of liver inflammation:
- the apparent darkening of urine;
- lightening, sometimes a complete discoloration of feces;
- nausea, vomiting;
To what doctor to address, if it hurts the liver
If you notice the above symptoms associated with liver disease, you must undergo a mandatory examination by specialists. Need to seek help from a therapist, talk to a gastroenterologist and a surgeon. It is also worth visiting the main specialist in hepatic disease – the hepatologist. The therapist conducts a General inspection and, if necessary, writes out directions on passing tests and other doctors.
A gastroenterologist deals with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, the functioning of the digestive system. He appoints therapeutic measures in identifying the patient’s cirrhosis and abscess in the liver, hepatitis b and C. the Hepatologist has a narrow specialization, is responsible for the functioning of the liver, the rehabilitation period after transplantation. Sometimes the therapist recommends a visit to the oncologist that can determine liver cancer, cirrhosis is an advanced stage.
Video about alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver
Inflammation, often caused by excessive use of alcoholic beverages, needs compulsory treatment. Advanced forms of cirrhosis may lead to serious consequences and even death. After watching a video, you can learn about the full symptoms and main causes of the disease, the diagnosis of cirrhosis and how to treat it.