According to statistics, meningitis is considered a leader among infectious diseases on the mortality rate. This disease affects the soft shell spinal cord and brain. One hundred years ago this diagnosis sounded like a sentence. Today, this serious illness is almost curable. Most of all he exposed the youth and the elderly. Adults with this disease face less often than children. The meningitis, symptoms in adults are very different from signs in children.
The symptoms of inflammation of the brain
Meningitis, symptoms of inflammation in adults, may be different, because pathogens are: bacteria, meningococci and pneumococci; Candida; enterovirus, influenza viruses; helminths, chlamydia, malaria parasites, many other protozoa. Entry of infection are the bronchi, intestine, nasopharynx. The first symptoms of meningitis:
- ringing in the ears;
- General weakness of the body;
- loss of appetite;
- headache severe pain that leads to vomiting;
- skin rashes;
- clouding of consciousness;
- the appearance of seizures.
The incubation period of bacterial disease is from 2 to 12 days. Further develops nasopharyngitis with a high fever. The bloodstream of pathogens may be accompanied by sudden bouts of chills. Inflammation of the meninges may develop acutely, with high fever, terrible headache, vomiting, nausea, hypersensitivity. There are other main symptoms of inflammation of the brain:
- rigidity of the occipital muscles;
- the consequence of not treating the disease can be a coma;
- observed dehydration;
- for meningococcal infection is characterized by dissemination;
- the appearance of a purple rash.
Serous meningitis in adults
Depending on what triggered a serous illness, it is divided into several types: bacterial, the cause of inflammation will be the same pathogens as tuberculosis and syphilis; viral, viruses Echo and Coxsackie; fungal or opportunistic infections that cause the fungi Coccidioides immitis and Candida. To determine the disease, you must know what are the symptoms in meningitis. The main features of serous diseases are:
- high temperature, up to 40 degrees;
- pain in muscles and joints;
- GI upset, abdominal pain;
- arching an intense headache, aggravated by movement.
- The first symptom of tuberculous inflammation – apathy, lethargy.
- On the seventh day of the disease there is a high temperature, which is kept at 39 degrees.
- Severe headache.
- Occur muscle pain, increases the rigidity of the muscles of the nape, neck.
- In tuberculous inflammation vomiting are mild.
- On the skin, the mucous membranes are bleeding.
- An inherent feature of tuberculous meningitis – arrhythmia, and in most cases, the heartbeat slows down.
Viral inflammation of the lining of the brain begins with General malaise of the body, high temperature and intoxication. On examination, the patient noted the tension of the extensor group of muscles of the neck that impeded bringing the chin to your chest. Enterovirus meningitis, the main symptoms in adults, has a relatively short period. By about the fifth day the temperature drops to normal, although sometimes there is a second wave of fever. Identify the main symptoms of viral meningitis in adults:
- vomiting and nausea;
- pain in the muscles;
- diarrhea, abdominal pain;
- runny nose and cough;
- high sensitivity of skin;
- painful perception of a bright light, noise.
- The first sign of purulent diseases – high temperature.
- Severe headache.
- Can be cramps.
- Lethargy, drowsiness.
- Increased sensitivity of the skin.
- People rarely tries to get up.
- Depression of consciousness and inadequacy.
- Nausea, vomiting.
- A rash that does not disappear when the skin stretch under her.
Video: meningeal symptoms
What is meningitis and what are its symptoms you can find photos on the Internet, but it is better to see the video. In various forms of inflammation of the membranes of the brain the symptoms are manifested fully or partly. Considered syndrome will help in the initial stage to determine the presence of disease. It is known that early symptoms will help to avoid the development of chronic disease.