You’ve probably heard how the car compares with the human body. Motor called the heart, the fuel tank with the stomach, the motor brain. However, the anatomy of the «organisms» are similar. Is there homosapiens analog absorbers? A whole bunch! For example, the menisci. However, if for a good drive machine is a device that is indispensable to absorb vibrations and to absorb shocks need to be changed after every completed 70 thousand km, which requires a damage meniscus?
What is a knee meniscus
Meniscus – semilunar cartilage strip forms needed by the joints to cushion shock, reduce stress. This protective layer of connective tissue located in the right and left knee joints. Consists of a body and two horns, the front and rear (see photo). The specific structure allows this «shock» when moving the knees to contract and move in different directions.
There are two types:
- the lateral (outer) is the most mobile and wide of them;
- medial (internal) – more «lazy» organ, because is firmly attached to the capsule of the joint. Works in conjunction with lateral ligament of the knee joint, so that injured they are together.
What is a meniscus tear of the knee joint
If you pierced a sharp pain in the bend region of the legs, know that most likely, the reason for the meniscus. Youth injuries related to active sports and are accompanied by the rotation of the tibia when the cartilage disc does not have time to «escape» from the compression of the condyles. Damage to an extreme degree – rupture – occurs during hockey, football, tennis, and skiing at. «Older» menisci suffer from degenerative changes of cartilage, against which a serious injury may cause very little damage.
The degree of damage by Stoller
An experienced trauma surgeon is one symptoms in 95% of cases diagnoses a meniscus tear. The figures are high, however, and the doctor might not be experienced, and the patient is caught in the category of those 5%. So the doctors to be safe resort to additional research, the most informative MRI. After the procedure the patient is put one of the four degrees of damage according to the classification which was invented by the sports doctor Stephen Stoller, a prominent American orthopedic surgeon from new Jersey.
Classification according to Stoller:
- the count starts at zero degrees is the norm, suggesting that the meniscus without any changes;
- the first, the second degree – the edge of the lesion;
- third degree – the true gap.
The symptoms of meniscus tear knee
If there was a rupture of the internal meniscus of the knee, symptoms include one or more of:
- constant pain in the joint;
- the pain only during piznarski;
- instability in the injured area;
- crunching or clicking noise when flexion of the leg;
- knee significantly increased in size due to the swelling of the joints.
Symptoms of degenerative or chronic tear of the meniscus increases as the thinning of cartilage. Pain are of a permanent nature, at times even decreasing. The injury often occurs in patients of advanced years, but occurs in young during strong physical activity, excess weight, flat feet, rheumatism, tuberculosis or syphilis.
After meniscus injury
Signs of a lesion of the cartilage layer occurred after injuries of the knee, similar to symptoms of other pathologies, so contact your doctor without wasting time. In spite of poor health manifestations can disappear in a week, but it was a false break. The injury to remind myself! In severe tear of the meniscus can get into sostavnoi space, and then the knee begins to turn to the side or does not bend.
Treatment without surgery
Therapy is chosen depending on the patient’s age, type of practice, lifestyle, specific diagnosis and localization of the pathological process. You menisci the knee joint (in the people «meniscus»), a horizontal tear posterior horn medial meniscus with displacement, more than slight injury of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus or combined injuries will set a doctor.
If damage to the meniscus simple, it was a strain or partial tear, can and should be treated without surgery. Methods of therapy:
- The main treatment – reduction, which only makes «pretty good» surgeon, or hardware stretching of the joint.
- Symptomatic treatment is the elimination of edema, relieve the pain.
- Rehabilitation, which includes physical therapy, massage and exercise therapy.
- The cartilage repair is a long process, but mandatory for the prevention of osteoarthritis.
- Fixation of the knee joint the knee or plaster. Immobilization is needed for a period of 3-4 weeks.
How to treat knee meniscus, if the surgeon or podiatrist (Yes even just a General practitioner), at the moment for you out of reach? Folk remedies. Key words: «in the moment»! Lends itself well to such therapy an inflammation or a cyst of the meniscus of the knee joint. But in this case, if you do not want to find yourself in a wheelchair, go to the doctor at the earliest opportunity. Be attentive to your knee, it is useful to you? Unpleasant consequences are quite real. And in the meantime write down these «green» recipes:
Wrap with bile
Buy in the pharmacy bottle (available in 100 and 200 ml) of bile medical. 2 tablespoons of this unpleasant kind of liquid to pre-heat water bath, then slather it on a sore knee, shook his bandage top and a warm scarf. Leave for a couple of hours. To carry out the procedure in the morning and evening.
A poultice of honey tincture
Stir 1 tbsp. spoon 95% of the medical alcohol and liquid honey. Melt the resulting «Mead» in a water bath, cool, not to burn yourself, and apply the mixture on the knee. Top – polyethylene, – wool scarf. The procedure is done daily.
A great tool for restoring meniscus. To make it, grate two medium-sized onions, add a tablespoon of sugar. The resulting slurry wrap in «dough», add to the knee. Secure the top and wrap a woolen scarf.
Operation on meniscus of the knee joint
Indications for surgery:
- serious damage to the meniscus;
- crushing of the cartilage;
- damage horns of the meniscus;
- tear posterior horn medial meniscus;
- the medial meniscus of the knee joint;
- cyst of the knee joint, in the case of ineffective conservative therapy or chronic problems.
The price depends on the severity of the damage, complexity of the surgical intervention. The cost may reach 25 thousand rubles, and 8 thousand euros. Prosthetics knee joint for Russian citizens in our country is on the MHI.
Types of operations:
- Restoring the integrity of the meniscus.
- Meniscectomy, partial or complete.
- Transplantation of tissue – in the case when it is significantly damaged.
- The stitching of the meniscus is performed with fresh damage to the knee joint.
Video: how to treat knee meniscus
In the video below, renowned Russian orthopedic surgeon, candidate of medical Sciences Yury Glazkov will show how the knee joint looks and talk about how you can cure any disease of the meniscus. And in this clip you will see the process of the surgery. Look carefully, if you have surgery, to understand what will take place and your treatment.