All the parents in the waiting period for their offspring fear that he may be born with serious health problems. Unfortunately, it can happen to absolutely anybody, and even in the most prosperous family might have a son or daughter with severe fetal malformations.
Thus, in particular, approximately 30% of children born with various disabilities, medical professionals diagnose a congenital heart defect, or CHD. This disease occupies a leading position among the causes of death of newborn infants up to a year.
In this article we will try to understand why children are born with a heart defect, and how can I diagnose this severe and dangerous disease.
Causes of congenital heart defects in children
Fetal heart defect is diagnosed most often in premature infants, although this does not mean that the baby is born in time, this disease can not be. The most often among the causes that provoke the development of CHD, indicate the following:
- a variety of diseases of viral nature, which future mom suffered, being in the «interesting» position. Especially dangerous for a pregnant woman to «hook up» the virus in the first trimester, because this greatly increases the likelihood of developing CHD in the unborn baby;
- taking some medicines during pregnancy;
- the abuse of alcohol and narcotic substances;
- effects on the body of the future mother of harmful substances of different nature;
- genetic predisposition.
Although it is a serious illness almost always occurs in utero, it should be understood that the heart defects in children can be either congenital or acquired. Most often this occurs due to the crumb of rheumatic endocarditis and other cardiac diseases.
How to recognize heart disease?
The symptoms of heart disease in children almost always occur in the first days after the baby born, however, the disease may have a hidden character. As a rule, sick child experience the following symptoms:
- cyanosis of the skin and mucous membranes;
- acceleration of heart rate;
- excessive sweating;
- General weakness, lethargy and malaise;
- the reduction or complete lack of appetite.
If you have such symptoms you must immediately show the baby the doctor. After a diagnosis of «heart disease» is very important to take the necessary measures promptly, as delay in this situation may cause death.