Surely everyone who created the cover art (for books in InDesign), the question arose in the design of the cover: How to insert a frame, ornament, drop cap, that was not visible background, and was seen only one pattern?
Actually it is not difficult, and I want to show how to make frame by setting the transparency using the program Gimp (similar to Photoshop — a freeware program) with a simple example pattern.
You will need
1. First, download the program Gimp pattern file using the command File -> Open. Select the image using the Crop tool (as a knife) that there is only one ornament and double-click on the screen to crop.
2. So to our pattern you can apply transparency settings, perform edit -> Cut -> Paste -> Paste as new layer.
3. To be exact you can select the background color, you can apply Colors -> Levels and then drag the triangles by modifying the luminance and saturation, while the colors turn out much more natural than using the command hue-Saturation.
4. Then select the background using the Selection tool by color (this is done in order with a single click to delete the entire background one color, including in the intervals between the elements of a pattern). Before deleting the background, it is desirable to put in the settings a threshold of around 35.5%. Then press Delete to remove background.
5. You can change the color of the frame with team Color-Toning
6. When I export a pattern in a file with the extension .png. To do this, perform the command File -> Export as -> Click on + plus to select in the drop-down menu the type of file (PNG Image).
7. Go to InDesign, place the pattern on the cover with the command File-Place, reduce and adjust to the desired size using the command Object -> Fitting -> in the Content frame size.
8. Now for the beauty of the copied pattern and reflected vertically with the command Object -> Transform -> Rotate 180 and enjoy the result!