This is a very common medical condition that appears in children and adults. Pain on the left side of the neck – a symptom that indicates the presence of the spine problems of a mechanical nature or systemic diseases.
Indicates that neck pain is on the left
From whatever side it may hurt, this pathology is called cervicalgia (from the words «cervix» – neck, «algos» – pain). Often tense muscles, restricting freedom of movement of the joints, dizziness, blurred vision. If the pain experienced in hands, it is cervicobrachialgia («brachionus – hand), and if it radiates to head – cervicobrachialgia («kranium» – the skull).
Should be distinguished as a separate symptom Servicio – cervical lumbago. It is characterized by suddenness. This spine can shoot a sharp pain. The reason is in muscle spasm, which occurs due to pinched spinal nerves. The pain may radiate to the neck, shoulder, chest, back, dooming these parts of the body to immobility. Have servicego have similar diagnoses: Dorigo – shot in chest and lumbago – lumbar spine.
In what diseases sore neck and head on the left side
The registry of causes of such ailments is extensive. The most common ones are:
- neuralgia of the occipital nerve;
- complications of tonsillitis, meningitis, encephalitis;
- the effects of trauma;
- tumors, abscesses.
Neck pain – almost constant, aching or pulling. In mild cases, the person experiences a feeling of discomfort, but more often he has to turn his head. During exercise cervicalgia often radiates to other parts of the body, may be accompanied by numbness of fingers, nausea, a headache, noise in the ears. The symptoms are worse when bending, sneezing, coughing.
If the disease struck recently and a sore neck when you turn your head, then this symptom is generally sharp, «stabbing» in nature. However, the strong myalgia in most cases, passes through a half-two weeks. If the neck muscles hurt and pull a few months, this symptom becomes chronic, as a symptom of a prolonged pathological process.
The most well-known cause of the condition, when a sore neck on the left side, degenerative disc disease upper spine. Suffer from this disease especially those who have to perform a sedentary job, taking a prolonged static posture. Often the discs connecting the vertebrae C5-C6-C7, thinning, degrade, causing systematic pain, sometimes with nausea, dizziness. Why sore neck yet:
- Another cause is osteoarthritis, which develops when gradually disintegrate articular cartilage.
- Due to simple drafts, hunched posture, cervical muscle can thicken, and then develops mihalos causing pain. They occur in spondylosis – a disease of the cartilage disks in which the formation of cracks or breaks.
- Hypertension also sometimes cause similar pain, which often appears in the morning.
- If the occipital nerve is inflamed, cervicalgia may additionally amaze the ear, lower jaw, back.
- Poorly tolerated cervical migraines: searing pain, covers the head, distributed in the temples, brow, causing pain in the eyes and blurring the vision.
Numerous other causes – complications from neck injuries: injuries of the muscles, stretching or tearing of tendons, dislocation or fracture of the vertebrae. Cervicalgia may appear due to a sharp narrowing of cerebral vessels, strong stress. The muscles of the neck often spazmiruyutsya, causing pain, after suffering meningitis. If the damaged spinal cord, numb limbs, disrupted the genitourinary system.
Causes of pain in a child
Some of them have children the same as adults: tumors, increased intracranial pressure, hemorrhage, abscesses. But there are causes of pain in the neck, characteristic only for kids and teenagers. For example, a complication after an angina lymphadenitis (inflammation of lymph nodes), torticollis, polio, tetanus, juvenile (childhood) rheumatoid arthritis, shingles, tuberculosis.
Many children get sick with mumps (mumps). When this infection inflamed salivary glands, throat, hard to swallow, and cervicalgia not only experiencing a sick child – it can be seen from the side in a surge of muscles of the neck. To the Central part cannot be touched in purulent thyroiditis (inflammation of thyroid). Often children experience pain in the neck on the left side, damaging ligaments, muscles, joints of the neck.
How to determine why stalling the neck
- You should refer to the district physician, who will do it himself or refer to a neurologist, a chiropractor.
- If there is damage and people can’t turn your head, you need to go to the traumatologist, orthopedist.
- When muscles are sore neck on the left side in the absence of musculoskeletal pathology, it can be a symptom of heart problems and need the help of a cardiologist, rheumatologist.
- If the lymph nodes are inflamed or there is a suspicion of a sore throat, should see ENT doctor.
Examining the patient with x-rays reveal the presence of degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis, displacement of the vertebrae, hernias. At the same time checking for signs of development of malignant neoplasms. Mandatory blood and urine tests. Frequent dizziness, blurred vision and hearing, noises in the ears appoint electroneurography, CT.
Treatment of neck pain
- If it is caused by osteochondrosis, it is necessary to anesthetize the pills or injections of Diclofenac, Ibuprofen, Celecoxib, Dipyrone, Milgamma in combination with muscle relaxants – drugs, relaxing muscles: Midokalma, Sirdalud, Baclofen.
- In severe condition use-hormonal agents: Dexamethasone, Prednisolone.
- Persistent cervicalgia eliminate procaine blockade. If your muscles get sore neck on the left side only due to overexertion of the muscles, to get rid of the disease will help massage and Finalgon ointment or eye drops.
If neck injuries are a supportive corset. When the acute pain subsides, therapy and manual therapy, massage, physiotherapy with the use of electric currents and magnetic waves, acupuncture, physical therapy, paraffin and mud baths. If the joints degrade, prescribe drugs to strengthen bone tissue (Artra, Mucosa, Chondroitin sulfate).
If gives head
It is sometimes possible to treat pain, using only the self-massage and a warm heating pad. It is recommended to perform exercises for the neck: for example, it is very useful to smoothly describe the head rounds from the left shoulder to the right and back. If cervicalgia still persists, you should take Ibuprofen or Paracetamol. In addition, you can massage the neck, rubbing Ibuprofen gel.
When the neck is not rotated to the left
If that doesn’t help pepper patch, you can try daily rubbing the Menovazin containing procaine, menthol, alcohol. Effective ointments, pain in the neck to the left Finalgon, Diklozan, Fastum gel. For rubbing, apply formic or salicylic alcohol. Equally effective for massage Vietnamese balm «gold star» based on a wonderful essential oils.
Pronounced therapeutic effect of the ointment from snake and bee venoms have experienced an unexpected side effect, Vibratex, We. However, these drugs are a lot of contra: Allergy, diseases of the blood vessels, heart, liver, kidney, diabetes etc. has a Beneficial effect on the spine ointment » Efkamon camphor, menthol, paraffin, tincture of bitter pepper and essential oils.
What to do if crunches and neck pain after sleeping
Often she is falling asleep when a person is sleeping, taking an uncomfortable position. Sleep on an orthopedic pillow to quickly eliminate this ailment. Pain on the left side can be eliminated by brushing the neck warming ointment, for example, Finalgon or by injection of Diclofenac. To completely get rid of cervicalgia neck need regular therapeutic exercises, massage and physiotherapy.
Video: exercises for neck muscles