People of all ages can experience yourself, what is a pinched lumbar nerve. It is accompanied by acute, sharp, severe pain, which can hamper the movement of the person. To provoke this condition can variety of diseases, but there are methods of treatment and getting rid of discomfort.
Causes of pinched nerve in the lumbar
Any negative impact on nerve endings manifests itself as unpleasant feelings, and every movement only makes it worse. Cause this condition can different disease, a pinched nerve in the lower back becomes just a consequence. Trigger pain following ailments:
- Intervertebral hernia. Occurs due to the compression of intervertebral discs in the vertebral change intervals, displacements. Hernia falls out of the spine and causes pressure on the nerve.
- Diseases of the spine. Chief in this group is the osteoarthritis that develops after deformation, displacements in the spinal column. In parallel, there is pressure, pressure is exerted on the end of the nerves in the lower back.
- Injury. Pinched nerve in the lumbar region is sometimes caused by physical impact, which causes serious complications.
- Spasm of the muscles. Disorders in reducing inflammation of the muscle can cause nerve compression and back pain.
- Pregnancy. With the rapid weight gain by the fetus in the last months of pregnancy the center of gravity is shifting dramatically, which increases the load on the lumbosacral. It causes a pinched nerve.
- Excessive load. In sports or the weakening of the muscular corset to slip a disk or vertebrae can cause additional physical stress. Usually it happens when you flatten the back.
- Tumor. Any tumor in the lumbar region can reach such sizes that there is a pressure on the spinal cord.
- Extra weight creates additional stress on the vertebrae in the lumbar area that can cause pinched nerve.
Signs and symptoms
The manifestation of infringement of the nerve in the lower back sudden pain in the sacrum, in some cases, numbness of the muscles, a dysfunction of the nearby internal organs. Symptoms and localization of pain syndrome there are the following States:
- Sciatica – lower back pain, goes to the gluteal muscles, the back surface of the leg.
- Lumbalgia – back pain, elbow, lower back.
- Lumboischalgia – lower back pain, goes to the hamstrings.
- Cervicalgia – pain spreading to the arm and neck area.
- Sciatica – a pinched sciatic nerve but pain is present a burning sensation, tingling in the lumbar region, passing on the hamstrings.
Causes of pinched a lot of clear guidance as to the pain no, but the doctor will be able to conduct the necessary diagnostic procedures to help determine the direction of the treatment. The success of the therapy depends on the timely treatment to a specialist for help in the clinic. Even given the clarity of the symptoms of the disease, to determine the root causes sometimes need to use multiple research methods, which include:
- MRI and CT scans;
How to treat a pinched nerve in the lower back
There is no single answer, what to do when the pinched nerve in the lower back. The most correct action is to seek medical assistance. Depending on the root cause, the specialist will prescribe:
- the medication;
- massage, acupuncture;
- a course of manual therapy;
- in extreme cases – surgery.
One of the options of treatment for many causes of infringement of the nerve in the lumbar region – medical therapy. Depending on the extent of the disease can be assigned:
- Injection. Often use injections of b vitamins that influence is not the innervation of the muscles, helps to restore damaged nerves, normalize metabolism. Use these medications: Nairobi, Trigram, Combilipen. The treatment of acute phase not more than 2 weeks. For reducing inflammation non-steroidal prescribed drugs. The disadvantage of such injection, with maximum positive impact, there are many side effects in half of the patients. Among the less dangerous secrete Ibuprofen.
- Local action – the gels, ointments, creams. All these medicines are designed to provide a point of relaxing or anti-inflammatory action that will alleviate the compression of a nerve, relieve pain in the lower back. Among the popular products highlight: the balm Chaga cream Venitan, Recipes Grandmother Agafia. Treatment of sciatica in 2 days is rare, but to cope with the pain help analgesics, for example, eye drops have experienced an unexpected side effect, Nikofleks, Finalgon. They improve blood circulation, expand blood vessels, improve metabolism.
- Pills. Relieve acute lower back pain help anti-inflammatory drugs, for example, Diclofenac, Dikloberl, Ketoprofen, Movalis. They reduce inflammation, reduce pain, but are not the treatment, only relief of symptoms.
The main function of these procedures is to strengthen, drawing (stretching) the muscles that will help to reduce pressure on a pinched nerve. Includes physiotherapy warming the affected area that will help relieve swelling, improve blood circulation, reduce pain. The high efficiency of procedures in different forms of pathology. Can be assigned to such methods of treatment:
- of an application with paraffin;
- electrophoresis with drugs;
- magnetic therapy;
In some cases, to get rid of a pinched nerve manage in 2-3 days. This is possible if lower back pain is originated from the displacement of the intervertebral discs, which put pressure on the nerve root. This will take manual therapy session, during which the doctor will be able to return to the place of the vertebrae. As a rule, before the action, the therapist needs to do x-rays to more accurately affect the cause of the disease. This technique is not appropriate when the destruction of the fibrous ring of the disc (hernia). Chiropractic helps:
- to eliminate muscle spasm;
- to release the nerve, to restore the passage of cerebral impulses;
- to increase the gap;
- stimulate blood circulation.
After eliminating the cause of the disease, the patient will undergo restoration. In this case, can be used acupuncture – safe and painless procedure that has virtually no contraindications. The main advantage of the method is reducing the negative effect due to the rejection of drugs (pharmacological reduced load).
Physiotherapy physical therapy and massage
Exercise with a pinched nerve in the lower back is important not only during treatment but also for prevention of relapse. Dosed physical load on the lower back will strengthen the musculo-ligamentous apparatus, preventing re-incarceration. For this purpose suitable:
- twisting the press;
- tilts without weight;
To restore nerve conduction to perform a self-massage of the lower back. It is recommended to massage for 15 minutes three times per day. When done correctly, should appear steady redness, feeling of warmth on the lower back. The procedure is carried out:
- Apply to hands and massage cream.
- Slow pumping movements massage the whole back, the upper part of the buttocks.
- Back 3 cm from the ridge, massaging her fingertips up and down parallel to the spine.
- Locate the brain’s pain center, in a circular motion with pressure in a clockwise direction massage this place. At first be painful, but after 5 minutes the back becomes easier it will spread a pleasant warmth.
- Make a fist and mash them well gluteal region, lower back.
Sometimes if the infringement of the disease spondylosis, which complications has bony growths on the edges of the vertebrae. They look like spikes, called osteophytes. When they appear on the intervertebral channel in a pinched lower back becomes chronic. In this complication there is a feeling, as if his back ached. This suggests the need for surgery, removal of growths. Operation is assigned in cases of herniated discs, when the fibrous ring of the disc is already broke.
If pinched nerve as a complementary treatment for low back pain can make money from traditional medicine. Here are some of them that will help to cope with the disease and speed up treatment:
- To cure a pinched waist, will help the facility, which will consist of Bay leaves and vodka. Grind the leaves to make 2 tbsp and throw them into 200 ml of vodka. Soak for 3 days. Apply the liquid on the lower back until the pain disappears.
- Good effect on a pinched nerve have a therapeutic bath. Put in the water, infusion of sweet flag root, bark of an oak or horse chestnut. Water treatments should take at least 15 minutes.
- A good way to treat the pinched waist is celery juice. Consume 1 spoon tablespoon before each meal. Celery has a positive effect on the healing process of the nervous system. You can use the juice of this plant for the compresses, apply on the lower back to the location of the pain.
Video: what to do if pinched nerve in the lower back